grub-devel

Re: Search command.

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Search command.
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:04:33 -0400

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 13:34 +1300, Centurion Computer Technology (2005)
Ltd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am playing with the search command in grub2 from debian experimental
> and have noticed some oddness
>
> The search command currently returns the device as hdX,X rather than
> (hdX,X).  This means that the variable created using -s can't be used as
> a replacement for the device string.

Actually, you can assign it to the root variable and use relative path.
You don't need parentheses in the root variable.

>   For Example I'd like to be able to
> do this:
>
> # Set our root device
> search -f /grub/grub.cfg -s root
> # Set our prefix
> set prefix=${root}/grub/  # I think broken variable handling means this
> doesn't work.

True.  Variable expansion is broken.  But you can use

set prefix=/grub/

That would allow you to load more modules as long as $root is unchanged.

> menuentry "My Linux OS" {
> search -s LINUX_ROOT -u XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ-AAAA-BBBB
> set root=$LINUX_ROOT

This is broken for the same reason.  But this would work:

search -s root -u XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ-AAAA-BBBB

> Or do I completely misunderstand the search command and usage of
> variables?

You understand it correctly.  But the implementation is limited.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin