grub-devel

memory allocator enhancements...

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: memory allocator enhancements...
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:24:04 +0300

Hi All,

I have been thinking on how to improve memory allocator (thou hasn't got
too much time lately to play with it) so it could aid in following
scenarios:

1. Move VBE BIOS thunks or other code from kernel to actual driver
- specially named segment that gets allocated to lowmem in order to call
VBE BIOS extensions
- These should be located right after kernel in lowmem
- Seems to be a bit tricky to patch relocation info properly (at least
this is what I was last debugging). Ideas are welcome. Perhaps my code
was not just modified properly...

2. Allocate memory for BIOS extensions in order to support BIOS drive
mapping and El Torito or what ever someone needs.
- Probably need to make hole to memory map that is passed to OS so
allocated memory needs to be at end of lowmem so no holes within low
memory are present
- Perhaps this should be only done at last step of boot process. Eg
allocate first memory to high mem and then when boot decision has been
made, then allocate to low mem and make necessary hooks

3. Load OS image at start of highmem. I do not remember which OS needed
this thou...

4. Allocate memory for GRUB code/modules/data. This can be at end of
highmem.

Are there any other needs?

So what does people feel about these changes. I am afraid if too much
freedom is given it will make it complex...

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen