grub-devel

Re: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 20:50:11 +0200

El dom, 31-05-2009 a las 20:05 +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
escribió:
> > The only semi-rational action we can take is to reverse the mapping
> > _only_ if %dl still contains the mapped data we passed into the int13
> > handler, but that leaves the question - how do we know that some 0x81 is
> > actually the 0x81 we put there in substitution of the 0x80 the payload
> > called with, and not the true result of the call?
> >
> Or we can maintain a list of interrupts under which we restore %dx. It
> would contain only well documented BIOS interrupts and not TSR ones.
> This approach will work with normal interrupts and has high chance of
> working with TSR. But I don't think TSR compatibility is important.
> > I have yet to find a bootsector that uses such information.
> AFAIR CHS FAT32 FreeDOS sector does
No, it doesn't: check it out. It overwrites es and di quite soon indeed:
  real_start:   cld
                cli
                sub     ax, ax
                mov     ds, ax
                mov     bp, 0x7c00

                mov     ax, 0x1FE0
                mov     es, ax
                mov     si, bp
                mov     di, bp
Same applies to the other two FreeDOS bootsectors.

> > Regarding that "biosdrive", it would add more
> > complexity to what already is a non-simple system. I'd say that either
> > this mapping gets done automagically
> biosdrive is necessary only when authomatic routines fail (no or wrong result)
The point is writing the automatic routine you described so that
biosdrive is not required.

--
-- Lazy, Oblivious, Recurrent Disaster -- Habbit