grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:47:21 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:09:02PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> My main concern is the size of the files we install in /boot/grub.  It's
> approaching one megabyte already,

We don't need to do that just because of OFW.  I think the approach of
installing /boot/grub/ to that tiny filesystem is just wrong (yes, this
is my fault ;-)).  We could just install core.img there and put
/boot/grub/ in the standard filesystem.

> But installing all *.mo files to /boot/grub would be an overkill in many
> cases.  I think copying the file for the current language should be
> enough.  The same language should be specified in grub.cfg when it's
> generated.

Yes.  We can only support one language anyway (the system-wide language,
which is what grub-mkconfig will use when generating strings for grub.cfg).

Also, if *.mo files contain plain text, compression would work well on
them.  They could be gzipped.

--
Robert Millan