grub-devel

Re: please stop this

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: please stop this
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:10:48 +0200

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Robert Millan<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 02:17:39AM +0800, Bean wrote:

>> > I agree that we should not rush with such changes.  However, publishing
>> > patches for discussion and testing is a good thing and should not be
>> > discouraged.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yeah, I don't mean to push it. In fact, I've created a git repository
>> for my temporary work
>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/grub2/bean.git
>
> Hi,
>
> Usually, I only go through the trouble of implementing things when it's
> clear they will be merged in some form.  But I understand it's not
> the same for everyone.  So if I missunderstood, please accept my apology.
In some cases actually implementing something is needed to know
whether it will give an advantage

> In any case, this kind of changes need wider consensus, and including the
> maintainers in it.
The problem is that most comments are in the form "maybe I agree maybe
I don't". Such kind of discussions may never result in consensus.
Useful patches lying in bitrot somewhere on the list is unfortunately
something common. We need a better organisation and more dynamism if
we want project to advance. New maintainer can make these changes
happen. And generally I tend to accept a rule "absent person is wrong
and agrees". Not because I don't respect other people but just because
I don't see why project would eternally wait for someone to come by. I
think that main rules are Sane-o-cracy and Do-o-cracy: As long as
choice is sane and expandable doer decides
>  And in general, I think we should hold off from big
> restructuring at this time.  Using branches is a good idea IMHO (be it
> "someone's branch" or "pupa2" or whatever).
Having too many branches per developer may prevent GRUB from being
GRand and Unified.