grub-devel

Re: New developing branch of grub2

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: New developing branch of grub2
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:24:30 -0400

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 17:52 +0800, Bean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a repository at GitHub to hold some developing patches,
> the main repos is at:
>
> http://github.com/grub/grub/
>
> master is the developing branch, while svn is the mirror of grub2 svn.
>
> I also have a forked project at:
>
> http://github.com/bean123/grub/
>
> The lib branch contains the new object format code.

It's hard to see the unmerged changes in those repositories.

I can tell from my experience with Linux kernel development that
branches are not used for such efforts.  Patches need to be posted,
reviewed and discussed by others.

Separate branches or repositories are used for subsystems that have
their own maintainers.  That is, there is a repository for wireless
networking.  Patches are still posted and reviewed in a separate list.
Once they are good, they are committed to the subsystem repository.  And
then Linus pulls from it because he trusts the subsystem maintainers and
knows that the patches have been reviewed.

When patches are publishing for review, there is incentive for the patch
author to make changes clear.  When the patches are published as a
branch, chances are that the development will go too far before other
developers have a look at the code.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin