grub-devel

Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [RFT,PATCH] Move embedding to appropriate partmap files
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:52:12 +0200

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Robert Millan<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:33:13PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> Hello. A bug was filed that embedding code in grub-setup.c was
>> ignoring partmap metadata which could cause its overwriting. To avoid
>> usage of metadata and because of upcoming sunpc embedding support I
>> propose to move embedding to partmap/*.c. For this I devised an
>> interface which enables future reusage of embedding for other too if
>> necessary.
>
> Can this go in util/i386/pc/ instead?  This is basicaly ad-hoc code and
> doesn't seem very meaningful in generic partmap/*.c.
We may want to embed more in the future. Actually I think it's not
ad-hoc. Basically partition map defines a function which gives back
the sectors available for embedding. This way no code outside partmap/
and parttool/ has to know partition format. It's beneficial for future
maintainance as if someone updates partition map definitions he may
forget that util/i386/pc/.. has another ad-hoc implementation
especially if he doesn't use BIOS himself