grub-devel

Success report: GRUB2, LVM, GPT, AMD64, Debian Installer

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Success report: GRUB2, LVM, GPT, AMD64, Debian Installer
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:43:34 +0200

Hello!

A short success report about using GRUB2 on a LVM-only system, with GPT
instead of the usual MBR booting, on a AMD64 system, installed with the
20090531-7 Debian Installer.

I had the DI create a GPT partition table, partitioned that into a small
(1 MiB) GRUB booting partition (as suggested on
<http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition>, which I had found by pure
chance), and used all the rest for a LVM PV.  I created a VG, and root
(ext3) and swap LVs.  I Installed the system.  For the bootloader to be
installed, only LILO was offered, so I proceeded without installing that
one, switched to a shell, did a ``chroot /target bash'', followed by
``apt-get install grub-pc'' to install GRUB2, and then ``grub-install
/dev/sda''.  This just worked.  When I disabled the GRUB booting
partition again (for testing this), I indeed got a ``can only use
blocklists, which is bad'' warning, so I enabled it again.  Booting this
system also worked fine.

To sum it up: using GRUB2 for booting a LVM-only system, with GPT instead
of the usual MBR booting, on a AMD64 system, installed with the
20090531-7 Debian Installer does work, but currently needs manual
installing.

Regards,
 Thomas