grub-devel

Re: patch to replace (UUID=) hack

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: patch to replace (UUID=) hack
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:32:47 +0200

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 01:31:54PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>
>> Robert Millan wrote:

>>> Excellent.  This was quite necessary.  I have to admit my (UUID=) kludge was
>>> a really poor solution (although in that time, the alternatives weren't
>>> so straightforwarded).
>>>
>>> I'm inclined to allow this for inclusion in 1.97, since it fixes a problem
>>> that could be seen as a bug (the overhead can be huge, specially in slow
>>> setups).
>>>

>> This patch isn't ready yet. grub-install has to be fixed for
>> grub-install for sparc64 too but I have no possibility to test it on
>> sparc64. I haven't tested it on multi-drive config on x86 yet.
>>

> This code duplication is problematic.  Would be nice to have those two
> files unified in long term :-/

I'm not sure about this. This code deals with sparc-specific stuff and
if it's unified with i386-pc it may tend to be broken. But I can't make
any definite statement since I'm not familiar with sparc64. CC'ing David
Miller.

>>> Note we don't need to explicitly include "root" there.  This would save 5
>>> bytes, and make the behaviour a bit more consistent (since root is
>>> implicit afterwards).
>>>

>> If "root" is omitted the found filename is printed on console
>>

> I guess that's because -s wasn't used?

Yes. Using options would drag extcmd.mod without real need (for normal
mode "search" with old syntax is still available)