grub-devel

Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:07:38 +0200

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> 2009/9/26 Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
>
>> It's generally a bad idea to chase grub out of MBR+embed area. It often
>> results in unreliable configurations. Could you detail your usecase so
>> we can seek for a bettere solution?
>>

> The other thing sitting in the embedded area is a whole disc encryption
> product.
> It takes up about 60 sectors of the 64 sectors of the embedded area.

I guess you speak about truecrypt. In this case the solution I would
recommend is to make grub load truecrypt's embedding area from a file on
the disk (it probably can be extracted from truecrypt w/o installing
booter). It's not a difficult task, just nobody did it yet (volunteers
are welcome).
Beware that truecrypt is distributed under a license which has legal
danger to the end user.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#TrueCrypt
Of course it's your choice to use it or not but I would suggest to avoid
such software especially for the data you need to protect