grub-devel

Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Subject: Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:21:37 +0100

2009/9/27 Michal Suchanek <address@hidden>:

> Obviously your encryption solution does not encrypt the linux volume
> which you boot using the USB stick so it has no reason to be loaded
> when loading Linux, it can only cause harm by trying to decrypt what
> is not encrypted.
You make a assumption that the encryption program would cause harm. It does not.
One specifies which partitions to encrypt/decrypt and it leaves the rest alone.

> Also as Grub can access the disk drives by various means (BIOS, PCI
> device driver, ...) the encryption software would have to hijack all
> these access paths transparently which I can't imagine happening.

One would obviously need grub to only use BIOS calls and no direct PCI
device access for it to work together with the whole disc encryption
program in pre-boot stages. Alternatively, one would have to add
encryption support into grub itself that is not a good idea.
I think that maybe being able to install grub into it's own small
partition instead of the embedded area would be all I would need.

Kind Regards

James