Re: Support for howmany option in grub2

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Support for howmany option in grub2
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:00:46 +0200

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 08:04:51PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am using Debian GNU/Linux as my primary system. As a loader I am using
>> GRUB.
>> Actually I have upgraded to GRUB2. I don't know, if it was feature of
>> original
>> (legacy) GRUB or it was functionality provided by debian scripts
>> (update-grub),
>> for generating menu.lst. There was feature - howmany. This option specifies
>> number of kernels, that user wants to have in boot menu. Script, that
>> modifies
>> menu.lst, use this variable. I like this feature, because I have usually more
>> kernels, but I want to see only last two versions in GRUB menu. I have
>> created
>> patch, that add support for this to /etc/grub.d/10_linux. I have created this
>> patch against version shipped with Debian (1.97~beta3-1) - I don't know if
>> there are some Debian specific modifications. Also there should be variable
>> GRUB_HOW_MANY propagated from /etc/default/grub (my patch don't do
>> this).
>> Kernel and it's rescue variant is counted as one kernel.
>> I have already reported this bug to Debian BTS:
> Does anyone else think we want an option for this?  It seems like "feature
> creep".
Many kernels encumber view and may make menu difficult to navigate (I
have to scroll through a lot of linux kernels before I get to FreeBSD).
But choosing kernels would involve heuristics which are likely to fail
if e.g. user is in the middle of git bisect
But the core issue is a bad menu organisation. I think we need two-level
menu. It seems Bean is already working on issue but I haven't followed
that thread closely

-- Regards Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko Personal git repository: