grub-devel

Fw: 16-bit bootloader support?

From: Bogdan
Subject: Fw: 16-bit bootloader support?
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 23:17:04 +0000 (GMT)

I'm sorry for the top-down mail but Yahoo! Mail is gay. No, I don't mean
virtual 8086 mode, I mean the 16-bit protected mode - which is 16-bit and not
32-bit. Protected mode was introduced on the Intel 80286 which was still a
16-bit CPU. Protected mode was later extended for 32-bit allowing of course for
backward compatibility. Windows 3.1 is a good example of an OS capable of
handling 16-bit pmode.

It's not legacy code I'm talking about.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Bogdan wrote:
> Most probably the developers of GRUB will say that this is useless but
> did anyone think of adding 16-bit protected mode support to the
> Multiboot specification and to GRUB?
Which mode do you mean?
protected mode=32-bit mode
You may mean vm8086 mode but it's meant only for compatibility purposes.
As such it's an OS responsibility to set it up when executing legacy code