grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:54:43 +0200

Hello

2009/10/10 Bean <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Update:
>
> Add command menu_start, menu_popup, menu_toggle_mode and menu_refresh.

This is very good, it's possible to run something with the menu now.

I wonder why the popup menu shows on the same screen as the main menu.
AFAIK it is impossible to return to the main menu without closing the
popup first. There does not seem to be any protection from the popup
overlapping the main menu (which would be ugly) and if there were the
main menu would needlessly occupy space in case the popup contained
more content (think the long help texts that distributions include in
syslinux).

I suggest that the popup should replace the "screen" element and when
it is closed the previous screen should be restored. It might be nice
to include the command line as the first screen under the main menu.

Is it possible to include the menu in the main config file?

I am not sure this would be that much useful because a font is
required for menu in graphics mode anyway so there are very few cases
when a single file would be enough. It might be nice for people who do
have text mode, though.

The terminal is somewhat odd.

The tab character does not seem to work in the terminal. When I write
"ls (" and press tab nothing happens.

Pressing space (or any other key) in text mode seems to draw the
terminal cursor all over the terminal area momentarily.

Pressing backspace at the prompt (when there is nothing typed or
everything is already deleted) seems to break the terminal.

When I type help it waits some seconds and then shows like 2/3-screen
of text. This is because scrolling always brings last line somewhere
into 2/3 of the screen and leaves the last 1/3 blank. I know gfxterm
is already slow but the new terminal seems even slower. The new
terminal does not even show the scrolled part of the text at all. This
would be useful if we had less/more. It is true the scrolling in
gfxterm is abysmally slow but at least it shows the text.

Thanks

Michal