grub-devel

Re: Handling multiple cores by GRUB

From: Swapnil Pimpale
Subject: Re: Handling multiple cores by GRUB
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:51:31 +0530

Hi,

Thanks Felix for your quick reply.

Actually we are doing an academic project in which we need to have two cores of Intel Core 2 Duo, running inside the GRUB simultaneously. For that we need to send an IPI from primary core to the secondary core.  Can you suggest any pointers to implement this? Has someone done anything similar to this before?

Thanks in advance,
Swapnil Pimpale.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Felix Zielcke <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 07.10.2009, 19:22 +0530 schrieb Swapnil Pimpale:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to understand the grub code (GRUB-0.97).

GRUB Legacy is dead for us.
But your questions also apply to GRUB 2 so I answer them.

> I have a specific query regarding SMP systems. How are multiple cores
> handled by grub? Are multiple cores active in the grub initially or
> only one core is active when GRUB takes charge from the BIOS?

Only 1, just as in DOS or similar systems, which mainly rely on BIOS.

> Also, can anyone suggest any tools to live debug the GRUB code?

http://grub.enbug.org/DebuggingWithGDB
But the pages there are outdated and even with them updated I myself
couldn't figure out how to debug code in the modules.
Only the code in the kernel worked.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer