grub-devel

Re: hdparm and prefix invalidation

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: hdparm and prefix invalidation
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:19:24 +0100

Pedro A ARANDA wrote:
> Thanks Christian :-) that works now. I now understand that the last module
> I have to load is ata_pthru That's great. So currently I can turn off APM
> and got rid of the clunking. Next step is to make OSX load.

Booting OSX on non-Apple computer constitutes an EULA violation.
Depending on the law in action this may be either enforceable or not.
But even if it isn't it constitutes an attempt on freedom to run
software which is essential to every software freedom. Imagine that
someone tries to tie you to a chair but you're able to get loose only
because a cord was of bad quality, would you give him second chance? We
encourage you to boycott OSX altogether. On a side note I tested OSX and
haven't found anything out of ordinary in it. There are a lot of free OS
for any taste, my personal choice would be GNU/Linux or FreeBSD. You may
also consider GNUStep which is reimplementation of NextStep/Cocoa API.
There is also an effort to create a Darwin (core parts of OSX)
distribution with only free software which can be found at
http://www.puredarwin.org/ . It uses the same kernel as OSX which can be
booted directly from GRUB2 as described here:
http://grub.enbug.org/XNUSupport

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko