grub-devel

Re: Imminent bugfix release (1.97.1)

From: Duboucher Thomas
Subject: Re: Imminent bugfix release (1.97.1)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:25:33 +0100

Bean a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Oh, I just come up with a better way to do this:
>
> typedef char grub_password_t[1024];
>
> int
> grub_auth_strcmp (const grub_password_t s1, const grub_password_t s2)
> {
>  char r1 = 0;
>  char r2 = 0;
>  char *p;
>  int i, c;
>
>  p = &r1;
>  c = 0;
>  for (i = 0; i < sizeof (grub_password_t); i++, s1++, s2++)
>    {
>      *p | = (*s1 ^ *s2);
>      if ((int) *s1 == c)
>        {
>        p = &r2;
>        c = 0x100;
>        }
>    }
>
>  return (r1 != 0);
> }
>
> The condition (int) *s1 == c would be true exactly once.

        Well, it seems I lost something somewhere. I don't understand the need
of doing it exactly sizeof (grub_password_t) times, except from having a
perfectly symetric function. IMHO, stopping the comparison when the
input buffer is done reading, or when the maximum size of a passphrase
is reached does not leak any information to the attacker. So I would
stick to

typedef char grub_password_t[1024];

int
auth_strcmp (const grub_password_t input, grub_password_t key)
{
  int retval, it;

  for (it = retval = 0; it < PASSPHRASE_MAXSIZE; it++, input++, key++)
  {
    retval |= (*input != *key);

    if (*input == '\0')
      break;
  }

  return !retval;
}

        Also, take care that it requires to check how the function is
optimized; sometimes you have surprises ... ;)

        Thomas.