grub-devel

Gettext support merged

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Gettext support merged
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:39:59 +0100

Hi,

I merged gettext support into trunk, with a proof-of-concept Catalan
translation of a single string.

Note to translators: Code needs to be prepared before we're ready to
accept new translations.  We'll need your help, but not yet!  :-)

Note to developers: Feel free to add gettext support to new GRUB
utilities.  It is desireable for everything (or almost everything) under
util/.  Existing C and shell gettextizations could be useful as examples:

  $ bzr diff -r 1840..1841 util/i386/pc/grub-mkimage.c \
      util/grub.d/10_kfreebsd.in

As a special exception (in order to avoid tedious, repetitive work),
wrapping strings with _() function can be summarized with a single
entry per file when documenting in ChangeLog, e.g.:

        * util/something.c: Include `<grub/i18n.h>'.
        (main): Gettext initialization.
        Wrap translatable strings with _().

As for files outside util/, these shouldn't be translated yet, even if
they're used by some of GRUB utilities.  When Carles Pina's gettext-in-grub
work is complete, we can discuss about which ones are important enough for
the wrap overhead to pay off (at the least, this would include the ones shown
in main menu screen).

--
Robert Millan