grub-devel

Re: Build failures on Ubuntu due to gettext

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Build failures on Ubuntu due to gettext
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 02:10:19 +0100

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 12:10:34AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> My patch made the following transformation:
>
> -  grub_printf (_("literal string"));
> +  grub_printf ("%s", _("literal string"));
>
> This was only necessary in five places, so I doubt that a function is
> worth it.

I think we all agree that it's safer to avoid gettextizing the template;
furthemore I agree with Colin that this seems to be a correct approach,
but our case is unusual in that we're very pressed for size.

Even if we're only discussing a change in five places, I assume we're
going to find this situation in lots of calls throurough GRUB code.  If
this is so, it really calls for a solution that doesn't make GCC generate
two memory references and pass two arguments.

So first of all, how many times are we going to find similar calls that
need to be adjusted in some way?  If we're going to find many of them (as
I expect), I think this warrants adding a new function (which, btw, will
also make GRUB slightly faster).

--
Robert Millan