grub-devel

Re: my plan for Multiboot 2

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: my plan for Multiboot 2
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:16:11 +0100

Bogdan wrote:
> Is it just me or does this whole thing on abandoning Multiboot 2 seem like a
> terrible idea? (That's a retorical question since I've already talked to
> several people in the OSDev community about it.) The only reason why people
> still use Multiboot is because it's the best we've got. It's not flexible and
> it's way behind the needs of current OSes.

It's a misunderstanding. We don't abandon multiboot2. The draft we want
to discard isn't much better than multiboot1. But we will develop
multiboot1 in a way to become multiboot2 and to correspond to the need
of OSes. The best you can push it is by helping us with describing and
implementing features you need. As Robert said our resources are scarce
that's why just a suggestion is probably not enough, you need to do things.
> Instead of several versions of Multiboot 1 popping up for other CPU
> architectures we could just have Multiboot 2. One day people will finally
> realise that no one can cope with Multiboot 1 anymore and by then we'll need
> to support both Multiboot 1 and Multiboot 2 in all kernels/boot loaders even
> for non-x86 architectures.

I prefer to have tagged multiboot before going non-x86