grub-devel

Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: How to install grub on fakeraid (raid 0) which spans 2 TB?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:57:45 -0600

André Heynatz wrote:
I have bought two 1 TB harddisks and one 2 TB harddisk (backup). I want to use the 1 TB harddisks in a RAID 0 array (Intel ICH8R

P ntfs  300 GB Windows XP SP3 32 Bit P ntfs  300 GB Windows 7 32
Bit E L swap    2 GB Linux swap L ext4  250 GB Ubuntu Linux 9.10
(Karmic) 32 Bit L ntfs 1100 GB data (for data exchange and
storage) L ext4   48 GB spare space for testing of new OSes
I'd suggest:

P ext2  100 MB /boot P ntfs  300 GB Windows XP SP3 32 Bit P ntfs
300 GB Windows 7 32 Bit E L swap    2 GB Linux swap L ext4  250 GB
Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (Karmic) 32 Bit L ntfs 1100 GB data (for data
exchange and storage) L ext4   48 GB spare space for testing of new
OSes

There is no need for /boot to be on a raid or other 'special'
partition type.

-- Bruce

Hello Bruce,

thanks for the suggestion. But in order to do this I would need to
remove the perfectly working Windows XP and Windows 7 systems to do
this which would be a pity.

No, not really. From your post I thought you you were working with a blank HD. Try this:

P ntfs  300 GB Windows XP SP3 32 Bit
P ntfs  300 GB Windows 7 32 Bit
P ext2  100 MB /boot
L swap    2 GB Linux swap
L ext4  250 GB Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (Karmic) 32 Bit
L ntfs 1100 GB data (for data exchange and storage)
L ext4   48 GB spare space for testing of new OSes

I like to use the first partition as /boot, but there is no requirement to do that. I think you can use a logical partition too, but I'm not 100% sure.

GRUB normally uses a BIOS call as a part of its internal process. The extended call is defined for up to 2^48 sectors. That is far larger than any disk available today. Any limitation, if it exists, is in the BIOS.

I feel that Linux just CAN do it with
Fakeraid, only a tiny bit of work is needed for support. I managed to
install Linux on Fakeraid three years ago, with a complicated
procedure. It worked like a charm, until I needed more capacity. This
time it is a little bit more difficult to get to a solution. I do not
care if it is GRUB1 or GRUB2, it should work with both because we are
at a turning point and cannot neglect the fact that we need a
transition period. I assume that GRUB is to serve users well of
course.

That's your choice of course. I haven't worked with any SW raid. I've always thought that HW raid was a better choice. After all, the value of your data is far greater than any raid device.

  -- Bruce