grub-devel

Re: user messages

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: user messages
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:41:16 +0100

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:20:27AM +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>    cmd_linux = grub_register_command ("linux", grub_cmd_linux,
> -                                  0, "Load linux.");
> +                                  0, "Load a Linux kernel.");

The construct "Linux kernel" is very ambigous because it's not clear if
it means "the kernel known as Linux" or "the kernel of Linux".  Some
people missinterpret it as "the kernel of Linux", leading to the
long-standing confusion you probably heard about (but I'll paste
a link anyway, for the sake of everyone else ;-)):

  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

But I agree it should be capitalized.  Please make that "Load Linux.".

>    cmd_kernel = grub_register_command ("xnu_kernel", grub_cmd_xnu_kernel, 0,
> -                                   "Load a xnu kernel.");
> +                                   "Load a XNU kernel.");
>    cmd_kernel64 = grub_register_command ("xnu_kernel64",
> grub_cmd_xnu_kernel64,
> -                                     0, "Load a 64-bit xnu kernel.");
> +                                     0, "Load a 64-bit XNU kernel.");

For consistency, these could read "Load XNU.".  If that's too confusing,
maybe "Load XNU (kernel of Darwin)" or something like that.  Vladimir what
do you think?

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi