grub-devel

Re: grub-setup: error: no mapping exists for ... in GRUB2 v1.97.1 on fak

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub-setup: error: no mapping exists for ... in GRUB2 v1.97.1 on fake (IMSM) RAID
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:47:30 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 27.12.2009, 17:50 -0800 schrieb Lapohos Tibor:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> What the OROM says is that both of my volumes are bootable.
> /dev/md126 corresponds to Volume0, and its first partition (ext4) has
> the boot flag set.
>
> My problem is that I cannot get grub2 installed on the device at all.
> I did try, as you suggested, to set

You're problem is that you're using metadata 1.x and not the older
default 0.90. Which we don't support yet.

I made a Baazar branch for metadata 1.x support, but it's still broken.
At least RAID != 1.
But I tested RAID 1 only with grub-probe, not actual booting from it.
And it's a bit complicated to get grub-probe working, because the
devicename must macht the name stored in the superblock.
If you want to try it nevertheless:

bzr co http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/people/fzielcke/raid

> (hd0) /dev/md126
>
> in the  device.map file and then issue
>
> > grub-install --modules=raid /dev/md126
>
> but I still get the same error message(s):
>
> grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for 'md126'
> grub-setup: error: no mapping exists for 'md126'

device.map isn't used at all for mdraid devices.

> What is interesting is that, at the grub shell, I can do
>
> grub> probe -l (hd0,1)
>
> it returns "OS" which is the label I set for it, so the device can,
> under certain circumstances, definitely be detected. Nevertheless,
> grub-install does not seem to behave the same way.

(hdX,Y) devices are normal disk devices though and not the RAID ones.
They're (mdX) and (mdX,Y) so it only works with RAID 1, but only by
using one disk of them.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer