grub-devel

Re: beep support?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: beep support?
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:52:02 +0100

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Felix Zielcke, le Tue 02 Feb 2010 15:09:47 +0100, a écrit :
>
>> There's play command in commands/i386/pc/play.c but I still don't know
>> what file format it actual plays.
>>

> Ok, reading the source code told me how it works.  I'm considering
> adding to grub2/util/grub.d/00_header.in a BEEP option that the user can
> very easily enable to get a beep at boot, does it seem OK?

Yes. Basically putting \a in messages is a wrong approach since such a
character has neither a graphical representation nor it influences
appearence of other characters. Additionally it's unclear what has to be
done when characters around \a are redrawn. Could you detail at which
events beep should be produced and propose a patch to add appropriate hooks?
On the other hand doing a BIOS call with \a is a valid way to produce a beep