grub-devel

Re: GIT mirror of BZR repo

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: GIT mirror of BZR repo
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:56:15 +0000

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 07:50:58PM +0530, KESHAV P.R. wrote:
> Is it possible to update the GIT repo git://repo.or.cz/grub2.git to be
> in sync with BZR repo. Since grub2 changed from svn to bzr it has not
> been updated. BZR is very, very slow to update. It downloads about 3
> MB for very few changes.

The git repository was only used before we switched to bzr.  To my
knowledge, it has not been used since.

> These are the changes that bzr did, for which it downloaded 3 MB of
> data (for what?).

This is a bug in the Savannah hosting service, not in bzr.  A fix for it
appears to be in progress:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077

Until this is fixed, if you have difficulty with the download size of
updates, you can use the bzr mirror on Launchpad, which is updated
several times a day:

  https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/grub/grub2-bzr
  bzr get lp:grub/grub2

> I connect to net using GPRS and I get only about 3-5 kbps speed. It
> took 20 mins to just update from rev 2249 to 2250. What exactly is bzr
> downloading for such a small patch? I used "bzr pull" . Git is much
> faster, it wouldn't take 30 seconds for git to update download and
> update the above patch if grub2 was git repo.

It would if git were artificially limited to an inferior transport
mechanism the way that bzr currently is on Savannah.  Right now, you are
not comparing like with like.  With sftp, bzr basically ends up forced
to redownload much of the branch metadata for every operation; it can do
much, much better with bzr+ssh.