grub-devel

Switching multiboot2 to tagged

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Switching multiboot2 to tagged
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:41:57 +0200

Hello, all. As nobody voiced any opposition to moving to tagged
multiboot it's done. Spec is available at
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/branches/multiboot2/
and implementation is already in grub2 mainline (as multiboot2 command).
To the best of my knowledge all fields are properly aligned and the
whole is quite portable except "machine state" section which will have
to be rewritten for every architecture. If you're interested in seeing
multiboot2 spec on your favorite (or non-fvorite) ISA feel free to
propose ammendments.
Some of information which seems deprecated in multiboot1 wasn't carried
over to tagged version. If you disagree about their deprecation feel
free to propose ammendments. They weren't removed because of being
considered harmful but because updating them seemed like a waste of time.
Also I'm aware that at least some people want more tags. Feel free to
propose new ones.
In short all ammendment ideas are welcome.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko