grub-devel

Re: NEED_REGISTER_FRAME_INFO can be replaced by -static-libgcc

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: NEED_REGISTER_FRAME_INFO can be replaced by -static-libgcc
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:24:42 +0200

Christian Franke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a note regarding this fix:
>

> The *_frame_info symbols are set undefined to force linkage of the
> libgcc_s shared library or dll.
>
> This can be prevented by TARGET_LDFLAGS=-static-libgcc. To build from
> grub-1.98 tarball on Cygwin, run configure with this argument.
>
> May also be necessary on other build platforms when -shared-libgcc is
> the default. It may be possible simply set -static-libgcc
> unconditionally.

We already supply -lgcc --static-libgcc. Do you know why it still had
issues?
And I also doubt usefullness of pulling these functions since reference
to them is purely dummy: no relocation uses it so it will only increase
code size. Another concern is the behviour of these functions in grub
environment if they ever get called.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko