grub-devel

Re: RTL Languages support

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: RTL Languages support
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 02:32:32 +0200

‎‏ׂשלום, ירון.
I hope I spelled your name correctly
Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> Hello everyone
> I would like to ask if anyone has any experience with translation of
> grub to RTL language

No such translation has been made yet.
> The thing is that if the app lacks of RTL capability we should
> consider providing grub in English only for Hebrew users (also Arabic
> and Persian in that case)
I implemented RTL support for grub. It's now in experimental branch. And
we need a translation to an RTL language to test the code.
Currently it supports bidi and shaping but not ligatures (they are
tricky). It's enough for Hebrew and Thaana and almost enough for Arabic.
Experimental branch is available at
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/branches/experimental/. Just grab it,
compile and then do the translation and grub should be to put glyphs in
right order. If it doesn't, it's a bug, please report.
Be sure to use gfxterm (insmod vbe; loadfont /unifont.pf2) because VGA
doesn't support any non-ASCII characters.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2010-01/msg00092.html