Using GRUB2 to access/change GRUB legacy partitions

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Using GRUB2 to access/change GRUB legacy partitions
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:18:15 +1000

I have a Gateway LT30 netbook that I am using for on the road that does everything I want:

- WiFi

- Broadband Wireless

with Fedora 13 - except:

- sound input is a problem (maybe it is a faulty microphone but I am not sure

- F13 is a bit slow on this little computer

so I have been checking out LOTS of the other distros. F13 uses GRUB legacy. Most of the other distros have a problem either installing or actually running and some use GRUB2. GRUB2 imports all the setup stuff I have for GRUB legacy on F13 (/dev/sda1) but if I want to simply delete the new distro from it's partition and go back to F13 with GRUB legacy, I have to boot on an F13 Live CD and run GRUB from a shell to reset the system to boot from the /dev/sda1 (hd0,0) partition. After doing this a lot I am wondering if there isn't an easier way of doing it? Shouldn't I be able to restore the original setup from the newly installed distro running GRUB2? (I have Googled and looked through the GRUB mail archives).

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
E-mail:  address@hidden