grub-devel

Re: Migrations to xorriso

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Migrations to xorriso
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:00:08 +0200

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> would the following changes be acceptable for
> grub-mkrescue ?
>
> - Option  --xorriso=PROGFILE  allows to use a
>   particular binary as xorriso program.
>   This will avoid the need to install xorriso.
>   One can just unpack and build it in some
>   directory and use .../xorriso/xorriso
>   as binary.

This can go in. I'll commit it when I have time.

I'm thinking to allow passing arbitrary options to xorriso by just
putting it on command line.
Do you recommend to switching to native xorriso interface? It would
allow to burn disk from grub-mkisofs by passing recording options to
xorriso.
> - Option --diet saves about 400 kB of image
>   size without losing much benefit.
>
> I attach an untested patch to illustrate the
> intended changes.
> If ok in principle, then i would do
> beautifications and make some tests.
>
> Nevertheless, a GRUB expert should make own
> tests afterwards. So maybe Vladimir wants
> to take it just as proposal for an own
> more qualified change.

This size saving matters only for floppies. Perhaps we should add an
option --pcfloppy which will additionally disable all other platforms.
Also I find the way of configuring with "| cat >" quite ugly. Is there a
reason not to have an option for this behaviour?