grub-devel

Re: Grub 1.98 will not compile on any system.

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: Grub 1.98 will not compile on any system.
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:40:38 +0100

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:11:35AM -0600, Matthew Ratzke wrote:
> I have attempted to compile grub2 version 1.98 on fedora 13, ubuntu
> 10.04 and Mac OS X.

This isn't a help list; in future, please use help-grub.

> ./autogen.sh :
>
> AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
>
> C file isnt a module: dsa.c, rsa.c primegen.c, ecc.c, elgamal.c

You should be able to ignore these.

> ./configure :
>
> checking for makeinfo... no <--- I cant seem to find a way to install this.

On Ubuntu, install the texinfo package.  On other systems I assume it's
similar.  Read your system's documentation for how to find the package
containing a given command.

> minix/config.h is missing

Ignore this.  Not all missing headers are errors; in this case, it's
checking whether you're on Minix, which you aren't.

> CFPreferencesCopyAppValue.... no
> CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no

These are only expected to be present on Mac OS X.

> sys/mkdev.h is missing

On GNU/Linux this is expected; you would expect to find
<sys/sysmacros.h> instead, which will be checked immediately afterwards.

Again, not all missing headers are errors.

> and a whole bunch of other header files are missing

Again, not all missing headers are errors.  When reporting problems, it
is important either to distinguish between normal output and errors, or
to simply provide the full output rather than paraphrasing.

> can anyone help me or send me a generic 1.98 pre-compiled?

On Ubuntu 10.04, you could simply use the existing grub-pc package.

Regards,