grub-devel

Re: [Patch] File name transformations & grub-mkconfig --root-directory

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [Patch] File name transformations & grub-mkconfig --root-directory
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:13:52 +0200

BVK Chaitanya wrote:
> A general comment, not specific your patch:  IMO we should make these
> scripts in grub.d, standalone, i.e., instead of assuming some
> environment variables (like GRUB_DEVICE), they should accept values
> through command line arguments, like --root-device=/dev/sda or
> similar.
>
> Thus, final result should be something like, with appropriate cmdline
> parameters, 10_linux script should print menu entries for all
> identified Linux distros, etc.

Why? Every change must have a clear goal. Here I don't see the usecase.
End-user should never run those scripts directly. And for debugging it's
more interesting to have this script run in the same environment as it's
used.
Changing for the sake of changing is NOT good.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko