grub-devel

Re: [Patch] Simple USB hub support

From: Aleš Nesrsta
Subject: Re: [Patch] Simple USB hub support
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:56:06 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM, Aleš Nesrsta <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > included patch should make USB hubs operational.
> >
> > It works in the same simple way as whole GRUB2 USB support, i.e. USB hub
> > and device must be connected to computer BEFORE uhci/ohci module is
> > loaded.
> >
> > Note (mainly for Vladimir):
> > Via hub are normally working also devices which I reported to be not
> > functional on UHCI. So, from my point of view it looks like there is
> > surely some problem in powering of UHCI root hubs on my computer. But I
> > still don't know why only some devices are sensitive to this problem
> > (all of them are not big consumers of power).
>
> When connected via USB-HS hub, even low-speed and full-speed devices
> enumerate under the EHCI, not UHCI.  So it's not surprising that the
> behavior changes and the devices start working.
>
> Can you verify the speed of the devices in question, and that the hub
> is USB 2.0 high-speed?

Yes, the hub is USB 2.0 high-speed.

But I am still confused:

My PC has EHCI-UHCI USB controllers (1x EHCI, 4x UHCI).
GRUB2 supports UHCI only yet, i.e. EHCI is not touched by GRUB2, it is
in some unknown state (maybe initialized in some way by BIOS - but it
does not matter if I enable or disable it in BIOS).

Now:
1.
I connect device APACER USB flashdisk directly to USB port on PC and it
works. APACER is USB 2.0 high-speed device (see lsusb at the end).

2.
I connect another device - Alcor card reader directly to USB port on PC
and it does not work. Alcor is USB 2.0 high-speed device (see lsusb at
the end).

3.
I connect Alcor via USB 2.0 high-speed hub to the same PC and it
works...
(Unfortunately I have no USB1.1 hub to try behavior in this case...)

Both devices are USB 2.0 high-speed but one is working and second does
not - where is the difference...?

There are lsusb outputs of both devices from Linux (I see no significant
differences, only MAxPower is different - but it is lower on device
which is not working, so problem is probably not caused by
overcurrent.):

"Working" device - Apacer:
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 1005:b113 Apacer Technology, Inc. Handy Steno
2.0/HT203
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1005 Apacer Technology, Inc.
  idProduct          0xb113 Handy Steno 2.0/HT203
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2 USB FLASH DRIVE
  iSerial                 3 19771C0607E2
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              200mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

"Not working" device - Alcor:
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x058f Alcor Micro Corp.
  idProduct          0x6366 Multi Flash Reader
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Generic
  iProduct                2 Mass Storage Device
  iSerial                 3 058F63666433
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0