grub-devel

Re: UEFI Boot with Grub-Experimental

From: stephen
Subject: Re: UEFI Boot with Grub-Experimental
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:49:59 -0700

Hi everyone,

I've had some interesting discoveries / success with this problem in
the past couple of days.  Where I am I have several machines to try out.
On some of the machines, it works; while on others, it doesn't.  I'm
pretty sure this all has to do with the video modes now.

On my laptop (which also supports UEFI), there is only one video mode
supported as reported by efi_video_modes: 1024x768.  However, when GRUB
is booting, it calls grub_video_set_mode with the string "800x600".  It
then fails to initialize the GOP adapter (which reports it only supports
1024x768).  Then it complains that no suitable mode is found, and tries
to boot nayways without a video mode set.

Does anyone know why it would be trying to boot as 800x600 only and not
the 1024?

I'll be looking into the code more, but thought I'd let those who are
interested know.

-stephen