grub-devel

Re: grub2 on power6 box.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: grub2 on power6 box.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:56:34 -0400

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 01:36:08PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 07:02:15PM +0200, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
> Serbinenko wrote:
> > Right now grub2 lists only aliased devices. You can either alias your
> > disk or directly use:
>
> Unfortunately I think IBM doesn't generate aliases at all.  I have no
> idea how to set one (I can't find any documentation on what commands
> are available on IBM's openfirmware).
>
> > prefix=(/address@hidden/pci1014\,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden,4)/
> > I have some code on ls issue but the problem is to reliably determine if 2
> > nodes are really the same device
>
> So that syntax should work?
>
> I tried doing something like:
> ls (/address@hidden/pci1014\,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden,4)/
>
> It didn't like it.
>
> ls (/address@hidden/pci1014\,address@hidden/sas/address@hidden:4)/
>
> didn't work either as far as I recall.
>
> I will keep trying though.

OK, so after setting the devalias I tried booting grub from the PReP boot
partition I dd'd it to.  Now I get:

grub> ls (

Possible devices are:

 md0 md1 hd

grub> ls (

Possible devices are:

 md0 md1 hd

grub> ls (hd,

Possible partitions are:

        Partition hd,msdos1: Unknown filesystem

        Partition hd,msdos2: Filesystem type ext2 - Label "ROOT" - Last
modification time

2010-07-23 16:19:51 Friday, UUID 43073e86-01fb-4371-8598-863fbd0beddf

        Partition hd,msdos3: Unknown filesystem

        Partition hd,msdos4: Filesystem type fat, UUID 4183-cb50

grub> ls (hd,msdos

Possible partitions are:

        Partition hd,msdos1: Unknown filesystem

        Partition hd,msdos2: Filesystem type ext2 - Label "ROOT" - Last
modification time

2010-07-23 16:19:51 Friday, UUID 43073e86-01fb-4371-8598-863fbd0beddf

        Partition hd,msdos3: Unknown filesystem

        Partition hd,msdos4: Filesystem type fat, UUID 4183-cb50

grub> ls (hd,msdos

Now we are getting somewhere.  So it seems even with a fat12 partition,
the open firmware on the IBM box still won't boot from a file.

Unfortunately on reboot, my devalias is gone.  How do I make it remember it?

--
Len Sorensen