grub-devel

Re: grub2 on power6 box.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: grub2 on power6 box.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:35:48 -0400

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 01:56:34PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Now we are getting somewhere.  So it seems even with a fat12 partition,
> the open firmware on the IBM box still won't boot from a file.
>
> Unfortunately on reboot, my devalias is gone.  How do I make it remember it?

Turns out using nvalias instead of devalias makes it permanent.

So I now boot to grub directly with an nvalias hd /pci.... set and
boot-device set to hd (which means boot the PReP boot partition).

I now have to set root manually to (md0) and then load /boot/grub/grub.cfg
as a configfile.  Then I can boot.  The fat partition is now needed
at all.  The grub image has mdraid, raid and ext modules included in it
and then dd'd to the PReP partition.

So how do I convince grub where to look for the config, or should I
create a small config file that sets the root and loads a config file
and embed that in the image perhaps?

--
Len Sorensen