grub-devel

Re: Improperly nested partitions, help needed!

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Improperly nested partitions, help needed!
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:13:50 +0200

On 09/22/2010 10:57 PM, Brendan Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/9/23 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:

>>> Well, I think DOS and common practice.
>>>
>>> Can you think of any OS that supports any other cases?
>>>

>> Minix.
>>
> Lennart Sorensen is entirely correct. If both Minix and GRUB are
> broken, then both Minix and GRUB should be fixed...

subpartition layouts are broken in many different ways, you have a whole
exhibition of it, basically only FreeBSD (not NetBSD) and Solaris are
sane. However since minix subdivides its partition using msdos label
(the worst possible choice if you ask me) we need to cope with it.
Trouble begins when you try to identify the minix partition. Previously
I had the opinion "important is to find all real partitions, and who
cares about ghosts", but since users seem to have phantonophobia bzr
trunk was restricted to check minix subpartition only in partition
having minix type.