grub-devel

Re: Documentation bug?

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Documentation bug?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:25:54 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:07:24PM EST, address@hidden wrote:

> > I have just downloaded a tarball of grub-1.99~rc1, and a ‘find’ command
> > on the untarred tree did not return any positives either.
> >

> What tarball have you downloaded?  Source code, probably.

Good question. I followed the links from the http://www.gnu.org site and
found a large number of tarballs at <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub>.

I chose the one with the highest verstion right at the bottom of the
page. It didn't matter much, since I was only downloading it to take
a look at the contents of the tarball.. I was not planning to install
it: since I run debian or ubuntu.. I do not normally install anything
off of tarballs.

> stage2_eltorito is machine code that has to be compiled for the
> particular architecture.

Right, but like Bruce said, this file is not part of grub-pc alias
grub2. But come to think of it, I can't recall creating a bootable CD or
DVD on that ubuntu system where I have grub2 setup.

I guess I need to take a (much) closer look..

Thanks,

cj