grub-devel

Query about changes to GRUB 2 for booting a physical machine using a vir

From: Swapnesh Chaubal
Subject: Query about changes to GRUB 2 for booting a physical machine using a virtual image
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:58:08 -0400

Hello,

My name is Swapnesh Chaubal. I am a graduate student in Computer Science at Clemson University. We are working on a project in which we would like to boot physical machines using virtual images stored on a server (via a network boot). I came across a tool called VBoot that manages to do this.  It works perfectly in conjunction with the windows bootloader, however, when I try it on linux (ext2/3 file system)  and make changes to the grub as it suggests on their website, it fails to load.

The following entry needs to be added in GRUB2 (according to their website).
menuentry "VHD Mint 9, Linux 2.6.32-21-generic" {
linux (hd0,1)/mint-9/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=/dev/sda1 vloop=/mint-9/mint-9-gnome-i386.vhd vlooppart=p1 quiet splash
initrd (hd0,1)/mint-9/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
}

The thing which has got me perplexed is, how do they manage to make GRUB2 understand the 'vloop' and 'vlooppart' command? Is there a way that this can be achieved? (They do have a GRUB module called vboot.mod in thier grub folder).

Thank you,
Swapnesh