grub-devel

Re: Testing On Macbook on enbug.org

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Testing On Macbook on enbug.org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:38:01 +0200

On 31.03.2011 02:29, Chris Murphy wrote:
> re: http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook
> I am wondering who the author of this page is, and if it's possible to
> get a more clear step by step of how a Macbook Pro 4,1 – one of the
> testing configurations on that page – was configured to successfully
> boot Linux in EFI native mode. So far I have been unable to reproduce
> it based on the information provided on that page, and have found no
> other guides or resources indicating it's possible.

From quick look on the page it seems that you're able to load Linux but
have trouble with graphical drivers. While some workarounds are possible
on GRUB level, it's not GRUB territory to fix those.

> An advantage of GRUB2 here is the ability to use loadbios. But I have
> not been successful at getting this to work as described.

loadbios is just a kludge. In perspective the settings currently
retrieved from 0xc000 (VGA BIOS) zone should be retrieved from PCI ROM,
using x86emu if necessary, or be in tables included in drivers.
Also note that for loadbios to work, you need a VGA BIOS dump obtained
while booted in *BIOS* mode.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko