grub-devel

grub legacy to grub2 upgrade path

From: ryuo
Subject: grub legacy to grub2 upgrade path
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 05:14:38 +0100

I am a senior developer for the Frugalware Linux distribution, and I am
trying to find an upgrade path so we can leave grub legacy behind. Normal
disk installations work perfectly under testing, however I have found a
snag with RAID installations we have to support that were setup under grub
legacy, which we installed under metadata 0.90 because of the limitations
of grub legacy.

The problem appears to be this bug: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34250

It effects RAID setups that only use a single partition per disk, and in
my tests I got errors from grub-install of this kind:
http://frugalware.org/paste/13418

The problem seems to be that grub2 is unable to deduce *where* the RAID
really is.

I tried installing to the MBR of both disks and RAID device, using a
simple grub-install command. (grub-install /dev/md0, etc.) I did my
testing with a mostly vanilla 1.99 grub2.

If any of our users happen to run into this issue, what are we to tell
them to do? I'd like another option than forcing them to have to redo
their RAID setup.

Any insights would be appreciated.