grub-devel

Re: Device instability, gettext and default

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Device instability, gettext and default
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 16:06:36 +0100

On 03.03.2012 15:51, Andreas Vogel wrote:
Vladimir,

this enhancement is part of my patches which i sent some days ago.....

I introduced an option "--label STRING" which will be used for display if it's set and which can also have environment variables (another part of my patches).

It's just a matter of taste though if to use a new option --id for an invariant menu id or to use the actual menuentry title as the invariant id and to have a new option --label for the display string. Both ways provide backward compatibility.

BTW, I just wonder a little that you refused my enhancements due to code freeze but are now enhancing anyway ;-)

The reason is simple: you submitted a huge patch for several things, most of them new features. If you had submitted small patches each making one consistent logical change (but it may depend on other changes) then I would have reviewed the ones fixing bugs (like the one you describe). That's the general truth that 20 small patches go in much faster than one patch big patch doing 20 things put together.
Andreas