grub-devel

Re: Set a bootdrive environment variable.

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Set a bootdrive environment variable.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 07:04:07 +0300

В Tue, 26 May 2015 12:46:07 -0400
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <address@hidden> пишет:

> I've been playing with fixing Ubuntu bug 1097570; trying to debug a script we
> use for the EFI images which detects where to boot from based on the location
> of a .disk/info file.
>
> Turns out this mostly works, except for the fact that grub appears to always
> list devices in a specific order, which interferes with the detection if more
> than one device contains that file.
>
> I think I can make this work appropriately provided we:
>   - Use hints for search --file;
>   - Have some value to pass to --hint= designating the boot drive.

If you always want to use the same device GRUB was booted from why do
you need to search for anything at all?

> Included is a patch that adds a "bootdrive" variable alongside cmdpath; which
> contains just the drive designation for the boot device, to be used as such:
>
> search --set=root --hint=$bootdrive --file .disk/info
>
> I'd much appreciate review on that patch :)

You can extract it from $cmdpath using regexp already. In retrospect
having separate variables for device and path would be more flexible;
but $drive is not appropriate name as it can refer to network as well.
Something like $grub_bootdev and $grub_bootpath.