grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 140, Issue 25

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 140, Issue 25
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:55:23 +0300

19.10.2015 19:39, Lennart Sorensen пишет:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 09:05:47AM +0000, Stuart Weaver wrote:
Hi Manoel,

Many thanks for your detailed answer and quick response! I've looked into using
this but I don't think it will stop the root problem of GRUB loading the wrong
grub.cfg file. Is there a way of using the 'search' command before GRUB has
loaded a grub.cfg and therefore use the same command to look for the grub.cfg?

To reiterate,

1. If both eMMC and USB are connected and from the BIOS I choose to boot into
the USB, I would expect the BIOS to load GRUB and GRUB to load the grub.cfg on
the USB... And that is exactly what happens. However...

2. If both eMMC and USB are connected and from the BIOS I choose to boot into
the eMMC I would expect the BIOS to load GRUB and GRUB to load the grub.cfg on
the eMMC... Unfortunately the BIOS loads GRUB on the eMMC (correct) but GRUB
loads the grub.cfg from the USB, not the eMMC.

I would like to keep the two systems as separate as possible and let the BIOS
choose which system to boot. Is this possible?

If the BIOS provides a list of disks to GRUB that has the USB as the first
device and eMMC as the second, there isn't much grub can do about it.

GRUB reads grub.cfg either from the device BIOS had booted from (sans serious BIOS bugs) or from device where UUID of /boot/grub is found. At least if this GRUB was installed by grub-install. So order of devices in BIOS is irrelevant.

I asked him to explain how GRUB was installed on both devices but he never replied ... besides IIRC original question of about EFI, not BIOS.

In my laptop I have two SATA devices, and the BIOS always provides them to
GRUB in the order of the ports, even though I have it set to boot from the
second one.  It's a bit annoying, but at least it is consistent about it.

Would be nice if yours put the fixed devices before the removable devices,
but some systems are stupid.