grub-devel

Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header

From: Mat628
Subject: Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 06:46:31 -0400

Thank you for the quick response. I just wanted to clarify a few things from your response.
>But at the very least it needs to check whether LUKS device has detached header and abort by default if it has, otherwise we cannot even find device to open at boot time.
grub-2.02rc does abort if a LUKS header is not detected, it may not say it directly but it does state that "grub-install: error: disk `cryptouuid/142d0d6fbcd348b9a25bd1bf1c3b681c' not found. " (for an ext4 on LUKS device) and aborts the installation. This is because grub-install can not find the connection between the proposed /boot/grub install directory and the root device it is on. Or if it LVM on LUKS it will state "grub-install: error: disk `lvmid/3we4r5-vdad-12s3-ds3r-asde-2233-dfea4t/2763tf-324e-NhdY-37d6-3d3r-1234-vaef34' not found." My patched version will state the same errors if none of my add command line options are used i.e. --crypto-device & --crypto-header. Do you find that type of failure to be sufficient?
>It also needs code to detect underlying block device and again abort if partition map does not support PTUUID (i.e. is not MSDOS or GPT), as this is the only means to find it.
The patches in their previously posted form do not explicitly fail due to those reasons but I do have checks in grub-install.c that make sure that if the device that is being stated as the --crypto-device does not have either an MSDOS or GPT type partition table then it will abort the installation in the same manner as stated above. The following patch for grub-install.c/luks.c does have additional error checking and will explicitly fail prior to finishing 'if (crypto_device && crypto_header)' in grub-install. Is that the type of checking and failure you were looking for?

I understand that grub-install is expected to auto-detect everything that is required to access /boot/grub but you also said that it should fail if it detects a LUKS device with a detached header by default. Which it does and I understand the reasons for that. But if it is to fail by default then are you saying it is okay for some user intervention i.e. having the user type 'grub-install --crypto-device=/dev/sda1 --crypto-header=/usb_drive/sda1_header.bin /dev/sdb'. Which is what would be required of the user to use my patches if they wanted to install /boot/grub on the rootfs and have boot.img, core.img and presumably (sda1_header.bin) on /dev/sdb(1) . Along with having them properly configure mattle_opts.cfg which I showed easy examples on how to do that in the patch 3 info. I left mattle_opts.cfg to be manually configured by the user for the purpose of giving them greater freedom in choosing which devices and how many they wanted to use to retrieve keyfiles and detached headers. If the user doesn't change devices for which the header or keyfiles are stored then no modification would be needed to mattle_opts.cfg for repeated grub-install/mkconfig attempts. Given that having a detached header or plain dm-crypt for FDE including /boot is more of an advanced setup do you think it would be too much to ask of the users to do what I am saying is required at this time? I mentioned plain dm-crypt because I have another patch that works with these patches and with just as much user intervention as is required for detached headers, it also allows for grub-install/mkconfig for plain dm-crypt devices. The plain dm-crypt patch is another reason I left mattle_opts.cfg to be manually configured because its easier for the user to type that information in once into a file instead of repeatedly on the command line.
Another note I just wanted to make clear is with the new patch neither patch 3 nor patch 4 will work if the user has not enabled GRUB_ENABLED_CRYPTODISK_MATTLE_OPTS=y in 'etc/default/grub. With that not enabled grub-install/mkconfig will act the same way as if patches 3 and 4 were not applied. Previously only patch 3 would not work if it was not enabled. I did that for the reason that these are more advanced options that do require a little more user intervention and that way someone wouldn't be able to accidentally install grub to or for a LUKS device with a detached header and then subsequently have a non-bootable computer.

Did you get a chance to try to use the patches as they are?
Do you think that the search_pt_uuid module is okay in its format?
best regards,

matt