grub-devel

USB, IDE and SATA: GRUB inizialitation

From: address@hidden
Subject: USB, IDE and SATA: GRUB inizialitation
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:53:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hello everybody,
i'm new of this mailing list and is the first time i use it.

I apologize in advance with you if i commit some errors doing my questions, because I don't know in details the steps processed by GRUB.

1- After a PC restart and the BIOS/UEFI gives the control to the GRUB, i'm interesting to know if GRUB implicitily (that is without an explicit command from a user) can write to a drive attached to a computer.
      In other words if, during the boot  loader inizialization phase, the GRUB does, in some way, writing operations into the USB, IDE and SATA drives attached to the corresponding port .

2-  Moreover, can you tell me if there are case where the GRUB communicates with the USB, IDE and SATA periferal drives during the normal user activity, for examplke when a USB stick is attached to a PC ?

If this happens, can you briefly tell me the source files where these writing operations are programmed in the source of GRUB ?

Thanks very much in advance.

Best Regards.

Vincenzo.

Forensic Consultant
Tribunale di Lecce

Studio: Strada di Garibaldi - Contrada Paradisi
73010 Lequile (LE)

cell: 339.7968555
skype: vincenzo.di_salvo