grub-devel

Re: Writing support for Yubikey in Grub?

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Writing support for Yubikey in Grub?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 16:12:25 +0000

Le Mon, Jun 12, 2017 à 12:11 AM, Andrew Ross <address@hidden> a écrit :
I'm contemplating an attempt at writing a module to enable use of the
challenge-response feature of the Yubikey to provide part of the
passphrase for a luks partition, using grub to do the initial
decryption. I'm after some advice on whether this is going to be
impossible or not.

The device is a USB token, and appears with a few different device
descriptors. The one I'll need is the HID one:

     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
       bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
       iInterface              0
         HID Device Descriptor:
           bLength                 9
           bDescriptorType        33
           bcdHID               1.10
           bCountryCode            0 Not supported
           bNumDescriptors         1
           bDescriptorType        34 Report
           wDescriptorLength      34

In the libusb version of the code, the main API calls that are used
(along with the ones to find the devices, etc) are:
usb_claim_interface
usb_control_msg
usb_release_interface

Obviously I'll need to replace these with some code just using grub2
apis. It looks like the usb_keyboard module might already have some
support for HID devices. And grub_usb_control_msg looks like the
equivalent to usb_control_msg.

So, do you think this is realistic?
It's realistic. But you may need to call nativedisk to switch from firmware to native disk drivers.
I'll start by trying to expose the
challenge-response as a function before worrying about using it for the
actual crypt.

Also, any tips on debugging this without endless rebooting gratefully
received.
qemu and pass-through the USB device

Thanks,
Andy