grub-devel

Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Subject: Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead of yaboot
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:21:52 +0200

Hi!

I would help with this transition to use GRUB on powerpc as well
as on ppc64 which we are now providing unofficial installation
for in Debian Ports [1].

I do have commit access to debian-installer and its components
as well as access to an IBM POWER7 instance which can be used
to test both powerpc as well as ppc64 installation images.

I would like to get rid of yaboot because it is no longer maintained
upstream and switching to GRUB also helps reduce the maintenance
burden in debian-installer.

What we need are people who are willing to extensively test d-i
images with GRUB on powerpc and ppc64 and report back. Also, I'm
not yet sure whether I have understood how exactly GRUB is properly
configured and used on powerpc and ppc64.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - address@hidden