gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] feature request

From: Roland Stigge
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] feature request
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 21:46:57 +0200

Hi folks,

Theo van Klaveren wrote:
> I'm not an official gtick developer, but I've been writing some patches
> lately, so allow me to reply to your mail anyway.

Every subscriber to the list is an official developer. :)

>> gtick is a great program and it's lot better than most windows
>> metronome programs(and a lot cheaper!), but there's one feature I
>> miss. On most hardware mets, you can save the tempo and other settings
>> to different programs, and recall them with a button. It's useful for
>> songs that change tempo in the middle of the song. It'd be nice if you
>> could have maybe separate tabs or something for different, preferably
>> nameable profiles or settings, kind of like foobar2000's different
>> playlists.
>
> Okay, so let me get this straight. The use case for this is songs that
> change tempo or rhythm one or more times, and you need a quick way to
> change the tempo to a predefined setting at the press of a button.
> Sounds like a very reasonable request to me. The challenge here, in my
> opinion, is to come up with a user interface that is not too
> complicated. Something like memory set-reset buttons would do the trick,
> but how to represent that nicely in the UI? Hmm...

I would suggest adding something that is only available in an advanced
mode (like adding more widgets as in the current "visual tick" and
"rhythm designer" case). Then, additional functionality doesn't hurt a
"slim" (by default) UI.

I will try to release a new version (including your patches - thanks!)
within the next days.

bye,
  Roland