Re: set-current-module broken in current Guile CVS version

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: set-current-module broken in current Guile CVS version
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:32:48 +0100 (MET)

On 6 Jan 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There are two possibilities:
> >
> > * We provide two different scm_eval functions, one that is 'safe' in the
> >   sense that environment switches do not influence calling code and
> >   another one, that allows switches to a different module remain effective
> >   after the function returns.  The repl would then use the second one.
>
> I prefer this version.  We could make the second argument to `eval'
> optional, and only save/restore `(current-module)' when it is present.
> The repl would not specify the second argument.

After I have failed to find an implementation of the repl that works
around the problems with the fixed version of eval, I think that Marius is
right and the solution is actually to provide two different evals.
However, I don't think that we should make the second argument to eval
optional.  We should have two functions with two bindings, for example
'eval' and 'eval!' or 'eval*', where 'eval' is defined according to R5RS.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann